Monday, February 17, 2014

Great Huts: Day 1

First of all I want to say Happy Family Day, and that I'm sending all my love to my family back home!

This morning I woke up at 7am to get an early jump on the day with a run on the beach prior to packing up. We all boarded a bus around 9:30am. Currently we are en route to Port Antonio. It's so lovely on the bus - the scenery is like nothing I have ever seen before and there are people all over the side of the road selling fruits and vegetables.. I mean why not right? I'm looking forward to arriving.

4 hours later, we had arrived at Great Huts resort. The place is incredible, humid, colourful and full of greenery. The hotel is on a cliff and is amazing. We just got our room and it is a workout to get up to the bed. The stairs everywhere are so steep but this resort is hands down one of the coolest places I have ever been before. There are no windows at all as all of the buildings are open concept to allow the fresh sea air to circulate the rooms. It is very eco-friendly and I can definitely see myself coming back here for a vacation. I can't wait to see what else Great Huts has to offer.


Right in our backyard  

Before surfing: from the right, Lisa, Astoria (middle), Shelby (me) on the left


I'm looking forward to seeing what comes next with the next few days at Great Huts and I am even more excited to begin working at the Portland Rehab Management Clinic.Tomorrow is our first day of work at the clinic and I couldn't be more excited. I am responsible for their social media research and I will be trying to set them up with more research on social media and how they can get a solid network of people to follow and possibly donate to the clinic. I have also volunteered to be in charge of donations for the clinic, so I am excited to give the clinic all of the wonderful items everyone brought... It's good karma.

After the first half day here, we had a meeting and organized more questions and details which we will go over tomorrow. However, the most important part about our first day at Great Huts is that seven of us all went and surfed in the Carribean Sea. It was a mind-blowing experience and not to mention one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. 



Boston Bay Beach (Our surfing spot)


Cheers!